Photo
- - - - -

Favourite OFFICIAL recording of OCEAN

poll ocean

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Favourite official recording of Ocean? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite official recording of Ocean?

1. John Butler (1998 Studio Recording) (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. Max Sessions (2004 Live Recording) (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

3. Somethings Gotta Give (2004 Single Live B-Side) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. St Gallen (2005 Live Recording) (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

5. One Small Step...Live & Solo (2007 Live Recording) (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

6. Federation Square (2007 Live Recording) (5 votes [22.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

7. Lollapalooza (2008 Live Recording) (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

8. Solutions (2008 Live EP Recording (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Spicks & Specks (2008 Live Television Recording) (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

10. iTunes Live (2010 Live Recording) (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

11. Red Rocks (2010 Live Recording) (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

12. Tin Shed Tales (2012 Live Recording) (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

13. Ocean (2012 Studio Recording) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 pomes27

pomes27

Super Member 500

• Super Membership
  • 597 posts
  • LocationBrissie

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Ocean has changed quite a bit over the years. I thought it would be fun to see what everybody's favourite version of Ocean is.
I know that the live experience of Ocean cannot be compared to the sounds captured in a simple stereo recording, yet I am still curious to know some other peoples' opinions. We can't attempt to compare the atmosphere true live music to the soundwaves we play back at our convenience, yet these recordings can become a type of release away from the world, to a place of harmony and happiness.

Ocean is so much more than just a song, it is an experience, an experience which has inspired many people to play guitar - myself included - an experience for many other things too! I would love for you all to share your own story in the comments!!

For me personally, it is definitely John's rendition of Ocean which he played on the Australian musical quiz television programme Spicks & Specks which has struck me the most. At the time that I first heard it, I really only knew the Max Sessions version of Ocean as just a YouTube sensation. When I heard John playing it on Spicks & Specks, however, with all that is Ocean jammed into the two minute outro of the show, I was completely awestruck, and I think that it was around that time that I really began to pick up the guitar. A few years later, I own numerous different guitars, and can't imagine what my life would be like without the sense of release that playing my guitars give me. For me, it has become a temporary escape from reality, and to be completely honest, I doubt I would have made it through the crazy term of school assignments and exams that has just ended. For all of this, I am eternally grateful for incredible John's work, and I remain hanging on for his next tour date near me!

For those of you who don't know it, this is the version of Ocean that John played on Spicks & Specks, originally aired on 1st October 2008:

Edited by pomes27, 28 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#2 Baigy

Baigy

Super Member 200

• Membership
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

It was the Fed Square version that convinced me to pick up an acoustic guitar and changed my life. It was the most important musical moment in my life.

#3 merbo

merbo

Super Member 500

• Master Membership
  • 1921 posts
  • Locationterra nullius

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Pure dedication! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, ocean