• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BrettG83

BrettG83

Super Member 200

• Membership
  • 495 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

I figured with the 1st New Zealand show and 1st JBT show for a while we could have a thread for reviews/thoughts on the tour....

I originally was going to give this tour a miss, considering the closest show is at Thirroul which is about an hour drive from me and it is a Wednesday night. But I was out with friends on Saturday night down that way (Kiama) and the show came up, one of the locals was going, I originally thought it was sold out, in which she said it still had standing seats available. Anyway Sunday night i decided to check the net and noticed the set time for JBT had 8.40pm until 11.30pm this is a 2 hour 50 minute set, so I get madly texting and find a friend that is keen to come and willing to drive me :) (I am without a car at the moment). So I now have floor tickets and it is supposed to be a beautiful Theatre (Anita's). Hopefully its nice and intimate and I get a good spot.

Another reason in my decision to go is I really think the "new" band will have gelled much more and the prospect of new jams and possible songs, I couldnt miss :D

Hopefully I behave myself and dont have too many beers so I will remember the setlist/be bother to type it into my phone.

Edited by BrettG83, 03 May 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#2 urbanacrobat

urbanacrobat

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Anyone got two tickets to this gig? I was so excited but couldn't find someone who wanted to go and drive me until after tickets sold out :D

#3 boundtofunk

boundtofunk

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

So I just stumbled across this video of a John & Danielle duet from the first NZ show. Automatically thought it would be 'Losing You,' but turns out it's something I haven't heard before!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El4pv9rwAXA[/url]

Cover? (I did Google the lyric "Jenny left home at 13" with no success though)

Mama Kin tune? (Not on Beat & Holler though)

New song? Maybe something we can look forward to on a Brave & The Bird release...

Whatever it is, it's amazing. The harmonies are beautiful and I want to hear more. This video also just brought home to me how much John's vocals have improved over his career - just a sweet folk song with no funky-ass guitar frenzy. Cool. :)

#4 boundtofunk

boundtofunk

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

And clearly embedding a youtube video into my post was not successful.... you'll have to use the link - it's worth it.

#5 P-Man

P-Man

JBT Aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

And clearly embedding a youtube video into my post was not successful.... you'll have to use the link - it's worth it.

Next time just put around the Youtube link. :)

#6 P-Man

P-Man

JBT Aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

That's truly a beautiful song and is just fantastic. Look forward to more. :)

#7 BrettG83

BrettG83

Super Member 200

• Membership
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

I typed the setlist into my phone, so if you dont want it to be spoiled look away now:

Hello
Going To Be A Long Time (with Nirvana jam - forgot which track)
One Way
Ragged Mile
What You Want
New Track (really reggae vibe very catchy, nice sing along section but also with electronic guitar jam freakout - i love it!)
Get High
Pickapart
Mama
Ocean
Revolution
Ho down > Better Than
Zebra
Funky (really really good version I wont spoil what happens but very very good!)
Don't Wanna

I have procrastinated from doing Uni work all morning so better get started. May post a review if I have time.

#8 boundtofunk

boundtofunk

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Very refreshing to see Hello, What You Want and Gonna Be A Long Time on a setlist. The new tracks too...sound good. And as amazing as Funky Tonight is, I'm glad that after 5-6 years of being the show closer it has finally been moved in the set.

A bit bummed that this was only an Eastern states tour now, would've been cool to go. Doesn't look like there'll be another Australian tour till very late this year or early next year... maybe I should've gone to BDO.

#9 BrettG83

BrettG83

Super Member 200

• Membership
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

Wellington live recording http://bootsnallnz.b...llington-7.html

Not sure what the quality is like. If someone downloads it let us know how it is.

#10 Dave

Dave

"Video Guru"

• Moderators
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

thanks Brett, will check it out

Edited by pjvedder, 12 May 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#11 pomes27

pomes27

Super Member 500

• Super Membership
  • 642 posts
  • LocationBrissie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

Downloaded it, listening through now. I Know You Hear Me Cry seems pretty funky reggae, I like it!

The audience is very chatty though, especially during the quieter songs... Overall I think it's a great addition to the collection, especially the two new tracks. Thanks for the link Brett!! ;)

Seems to be a great setlist!! What You Want, Hello, Gonna Be A Long Time (the only live version I have heard!), plus the two new ones, I Know You Hear Me Cry & Jenny!

Oh and the Nirvana song in Gonna Be A Long Time is Smells Like Teen Spirit if anyone is interested :)

Edited by pomes27, 12 May 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#12 boundtofunk

boundtofunk

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

I Know You Hear Me Cry is very cool indeed. VERY similar tempo and verse melody to How Long Can You Live Like This, which never saw a release. Hopefully this one will, I like it.

#13 P-Man

P-Man

JBT Aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Glad to see Hello, What You Want, and Gonna Be A Long Time! And new songs too! Very promising for our Toronto show indeed. Downloading now....

#14 zezito

zezito

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Anita's gig was awesome... very nice theatre, small and cozy!!!

Here's a video of the new song, Hear Me Cry.

I'm uploading a few other movies, keep checking my youtube page

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUB3qK7rSU[/url]

Cheers ya'll!

#15 merbo

merbo

Super Member 500

• Master Membership
  • 1,921 posts
  • Locationterra nullius

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

OH YEAH! Did I need that. Cheers!

Superb work all 'round. Love it! Love it! Love it!

Thanks a m i l l i o n !

#16 P-Man

P-Man

JBT Aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:51 AM

Sweet song! Lovin' the vibe!

#17 Ross1394

Ross1394

scottish folkie loving hippy

• Super Membership
  • 641 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:09 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D yey

#18 pomes27

pomes27

Super Member 500

• Super Membership
  • 642 posts
  • LocationBrissie

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Sound Support @ Caloundra 15.5.11 Setlist:

Hello (beginning with Mist riff)
Gonna Be A Long Time (with Smells Like Teen Spirit jam)
One Way Road
Ragged Mile (banjo with flanger effect!! :D )
Hear Me Cry
Used To Get High
Pickapart
Treat Yo Mama
Ocean
Revolution
"John You Look Weird With Your Banjo Strapped To Your Dog" (co-written with Taylor Swift, Willie Nelson, and...Justin Beiber / Ho Down :D
Better Than (with flanger again, not 100% to my liking, but hey!!)
Zebra
Funky Tonight
---
Good Excuse
Close To You
Don't Wanna See Your Face

I was a bit disappointed they didn't play What You Want (my #1 JBT song atm...) but it was still a great evening and I'm glad I went! :D
Also, after the Smells Like Teen Spirit jam in Gonna Be A Long Time, John sang some lyrics from another song (I assume) which I didn't know. It went something like "Remember me and what I had yeah baby...". Anybody know what this could be from? :D

Edited by pomes27, 16 May 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#19 flemo

flemo

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Qld Australia

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I was at the Caloundra gig too on sunday night and man it went off! def one to remember! also saw the Bundaberg guerilla gig for Channel V in the main street which was like old times with JBT :) :D thanks for posting the set list pomes27 i couldn't remember it all,
peace out
yeooooooooooooooooow.
Flemo
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image