Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Zebra Rip-off?

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

No kidding... I was in the kitchen and my wife yelled that I had to hurry back to the living room! At the time we thought it was cool that JBT had made it to a Super Bowl ad. I searched it out and listened again later and realized it sounded more like a rip-off than a real cut of Zebra. Anyone from Admin have more info? If it is a rip-off I hope JBT goes after some compensation!

Posted · Report post

jbt MGMT are looking into apparently check there facebook

Posted · Report post

If you don't have Facebook, they posted this:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thank you everyone for making us aware of the Oikos Greek yogurt TV ad that aired during the Super Bowl yesterday featuring a song that sounds extremely similar to Zebra. John Butler and his management were not aware of this usage until yesterday, and we will be seeking advice as how to address the issue. JBT MGMT[/font][/size]

Posted · Report post

Glad to see the fans stepped up and let them know their tune was ripped... and that they seem to be taking it seriously.

I think listening to an archived recording of a live show that was shared online or even covering a band's tune as an homage is one thing, but using someone else's work for your own corporate profit is a completely different animal. It's too bad it is likely to be an expensive and lengthly U.S. legal battle to be duly compensated, but an injunction (a legal "cease and desist" order) against playing the commercial should be quickly available.

Good luck... hope to see JBT in Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont again this summer!

Posted · Report post

Is it time to post comment on the advertisers YouTube channel? LOL

Posted · Report post

Wow. This is outrageous! To be honest, I am disgusted, and that's saying a lot because I really try not to get worked up about things... But this is just terrible!! I can't believe it... I just hope that the f--kers gets what's coming to them now, whether that be in legal action or JB ripping into them in a new song (much like Don't Wanna See Your Face), as a comment on Facebook suggested. Check it in the article below:
http://www.themusicnetwork.com/music-news/artists/2012/02/07/john-butler-trio-outraged-over-yoghurt-ad/

According to this article, the Superbowl was watched (and thus the ad also) by over 111 million people...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/john-butler-trio-looking-at-super-bowl-ad-that-resembles-hit-song-zebra/story-fn7x8me2-1226264354644

I hope we are kept informed on what happens with this, I am very interested.

Posted · Report post

http://themusic.com.au/newsletter/4148/us-company-apologises-over-john-butler-rip-off

[color=#444444][font=sans-serif][size=3]Under intense pressure on social media platforms today the company posted on their [/size][/font][/color]

website

[color=#444444][font=sans-serif][size=3], “A question about the music in our Super Bowl commercial has been brought to our attention. We are working to fully understand and address the situation. We apologize for any concerns this has caused John Butler Trio’s band members and fans.[/size][/font][/color]

Posted · Report post

the bonus here is that oikos have paid millions of dollars to make and air this ad, and now JBT has received all this free publicity without doing a thing!

i was discussing it at work, and i said that 'zebra' wasnt really a yoghurty song' - so my colleauge said to me 'well what IS a yoghurty song, hum me a yoghurty song!' - i have til tomorrows shift to now come up with a yoghurty song! go figure! its got everyone talking!!

Posted · Report post

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/confidential/john-butler-trio-looking-at-super-bowl-ad-that-resembles-hit-song-zebra/story-e6freq7o-1226264354644

Posted · Report post

When played over each other... it's a rip!

Posted · Report post

I haven't been on here for a while and I heard that night also, glad to see they are being taken to task over an obvious rip-off!!

Posted · Report post

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/music/13167211/what-the-butler-does/

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]

Butler jokes that the on-stage storytelling will veer from explanations of where the songs began to "talking about yoghurt", a not-so-subtle reference to the ongoing stoush over an advertising jingle for Oikos Greek yoghurt that bore uncanny resemblance to his 2003 hit Zebra. While details of any legal action are sketchy, Butler's management first saw the ad after it aired during the US Super Bowl last month.

"I'm keeping my sense of humour well oiled and just trying to tell them how it is, which is 'Guys, it's pretty obvious that you've ripped me off'," he says.

"It's one thing using my song without permission. It's another thing damaging the brand.

"How do you quantify that?"

Posted · Report post

Nothing but a couple of ignorant bogans breeding pea brained bogan thinking anyway.
Why oh why do people buy into these shite radio stations?
Because they do indeed subscribe to being bogans and are damn proud of the fact?

Perhaps I best inform those outside Australia as to the nature of Today Tonight, the worst program on TV passed off as being a current affairs 'news' type show. I've a really good book with a specific entry on this crappy production that spells it out clear as a bell.

Posted · Report post

[media]

[/media]

Who was the guy with the crazy hat? Full on!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Who was the guy with the crazy hat? Full on!

He's some Aussie music guru type I'm pretty sure. No idea what his name is, used to be a regular consultant on the countdown program 20 to 1.

Sidenote: At 1:15, does the dopey woman really say "The John Butler Band"!? Shake my head in shame for my nation....

Edit:You got me searching! His name is Glenn A Baker, and Wikipedia calls him an "Australian journalist, commentator, and broadcaster well known in Australia for his vast knowledge of rock music". Looks like I wasn't far off!!
Saucey source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/celebrity/article/-/12847048/super-bowl-jingle-rip-off/ ;) Edited by pomes27

Posted · Report post

Glenn A. Baker

http://en.wikipedia..../Glenn_A._Baker

As for the 'current affairs' program.... it rates as the worst excuse for a source of information possible.
It's a favourite of bogans because it suits their limited attention span and taste for stories about popular targets to blame for all that goes wrong in society... as well as push a political line as per media owners.

Posted (edited) · Report post

http://www.dailytele...r-1226325938433

[color=#111111][font=Arial, sans-serif]One of the ads aired during the ratings bonanza featured a soundbed that bore a striking resemblance to his hit Zebra. Fans flocked to Facebook to alert Butler and his management, who were touring in New Zealand at the time.[/font][/color]

[b][color=#111111][font=Arial, sans-serif]It is believed the yoghurt makers and Butler reached an out of court settlement.[/font][/color][/b]

[color=#111111][font=Arial, sans-serif]"But that was amazing, the way social media can perform and the fact we knew nothing about it until the dogs unleashed their fury and attacked, it was awesome," he says.[/font][/color]

[color=#111111][font=Arial, sans-serif]"It was hilarious that they didn't change enough of it that my fans could still recognise it."[/font][/color]

Edited by pomes27