Photo
- - - - -

"The John Butler Trio" or "John Butler Trio"?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LA

LA

• Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

This may sound pretty pointless but is it officially "The John Butler Trio" or "John Butler Trio"? I've seen both.

#2 Dave

Dave

"Video Guru"

• Moderators
  • 982 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Look at the albums....JBT = john butler trio :D

#3 pomes27

pomes27

Super Member 500

• Super Membership
  • 631 posts
  • LocationBrissie

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

My understanding is that The John Butler Trio was all the lineups up until Shannon & Michael. (Gavin, Rory, Jason, Andrew)
Then when John took his new direction, cut the dreads, did Who Do You Think You Are, and made the "new" group with Byron & Nicky, it became John Butler Trio, to try and differentiate the new lineup and music from the old times.

#4 earthbound child

earthbound child

JBT Expert

• Super Membership
  • 531 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN a.k.a MUSIC CITY!!!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

ok, I think Pomes is actually correct. Pj is correct too. Either one can be right because the word "The" doesn't hold much of a significant difference, in my opinion. I personally have been a fan since the beginning and I have always said "The John Butler Trio" or "JBT". When talking about the guys, I don't say "Have you heard of John Butler Trio" because grammerwise, it just doesn't sound right. I always say "Have you heard of "The John Butler Trio?". When talking about "John Butler Trio"....I usually don't say it outloud without putting THE in front of it because it just sounds correct.....I usually say "JBT" instead of "John Butler Trio".

Confusing......lol

#5 89vision

89vision

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I'd tend to agree with pomes if we are talking "official". I think with little to no exeptions, album artwork prior to AU has "The" included in the name. If the understanding is correct, I think its a cool, subtle way of making that distinction between the two eras of the band.

Otherwise just in general terms, yes, much more natural to leave off the definitive article.

Edited by 89vision, 10 March 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#6 finchy

finchy

Old Fart

• Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationGold Coast Hinterland, QLD, AU

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Wow, really over-thinking it.
The only place it matters for me is tagging my FLAC files where it needs to be consistent. Or previously with TXT files when producing live recordings.

In both cases I use: "John Butler Trio"

#7 jbtdotcom

jbtdotcom

Administrator

• johnbutlertrio.com
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

To be honest, we dropped 'The' because it was a pain in the butt to title everything in a neat fashion by including 'The' into the title. Naturally it's spoken as 'the John Butler Trio' so "The John Butler Trio" was a bit redundant and just looked better without it.

We'd probably even go to just JBT if we could get the domain name, without that it's pretty hard to change all the branding so John Butler Trio is where it's at.