No Taping Policy

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Since I couldn't find the information here in the forum I wanted to post the apparently new NO taping policy.  Needless to say I was pretty bummed to not be able to tape the Raleigh show last night.  After returning my gear to the car, I was able to later confirm through the crew that it was not just the venue security not knowing, it was in fact the bands latest policy to not allow taping.  

It would be nice if the band could post an official policy so others don't go through the hassle of being turned away at the door.

Edit - this is in regards to "Audio" taping. 

Edited by DeanJBT

Posted · Report post

damn man....sorry that happened....thats very strange that the band wouldn't allow this tour....I know some venues don't allow, but you are right, if they don't want taping they should have that posted on ticket sales or something....

Posted · Report post

Dave, thanks man.  Yeah, it wasn't just the venue.  Maybe something official posted here in their own "Tape Traders" forum would be a novel idea so others could avoid the hassle.  

Posted · Report post

I think it possibly could have just been miscommunication between management and venue peeps, usually the only time they dont want taping is when there playing new songs....Only reason i say this is I was at 6 shows this year and a few there were tapers...I will look into this and see what i can find out....

It coulda just been a jerk security person who just said that to say it....I donno...But like i said, i will see what i can dig up about this...

Posted · Report post

I think it possibly could have just been miscommunication between management and venue peeps, usually the only time they dont want taping is when there playing new songs....Only reason i say this is I was at 6 shows this year and a few there were tapers...I will look into this and see what i can find out....

It coulda just been a jerk security person who just said that to say it....I donno...But like i said, i will see what i can dig up about this...

Yeah, taping was allowed during the summer tour.  For whatever reason they're not allowing it during the US fall tour.  After the management and house security meeting took place, just prior to the doors opening, the security dude who had been extremely helpful earlier, told me band management said NO.  

Since I went in early, I waited on the FOH engineer to come out to the soundboard area. Introduced myself to Colin, a super cool guy who's been with the band for 11 years.  After I explained to him what went down and that I hoped to tape the next night in Richmond, he said he'd talk with the band and find out what the facts were.  After the show I stopped by the board and Colin said he was able to confirm with the "band" that NO taping was being allowed for the fall tour.  No reason given, it just wasn't being allowed.

But no, I've been taping for a while and this wasn't just some jerk security person being a jerk.  Security, for once, was being very helpful. :)  But yeah, if you can find anything out that would be cool.  I know someone who was hoping to tape the upcoming NY show.  Thanks for whatever you can find out, Dave! 

Posted · Report post

Ok, so i got a message from the tour manager....here it is:

Hey Dave, taping is totally fine with handheld audio, no mics or plugging into the desk allowed. I always brief security on this. Had a few guys come with mics & elaborate set ups, which I've had to deny, but handheld, has & always will be fine.

Posted · Report post

So i can assume recorder with stealth mics is fine....I know the sound is way better with mics on stands and such...But handheld recorders with internal mics or stealth mics is better than no taping...

I hope this helps...

Posted · Report post

Dave, thanks for your effort and update!  Yes, stealth is definitely better than nothing and there are some pretty sweet stealth setups. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully we get at least one recording of this tour :)

1 person likes this